Saturday, January 7, 2012

Fabric flower tutorial

I have been making some fun things with my new ruffler foot lately, my favorite besides ruffles, is fabric flowers. The ruffler makes it so easy to do! Below I will show you step by step how to make these flowers. They take no time at all! 
 This is the latest purse I made with some great new moda fabric.
 Ok here goes! This is my ruffler foot, you can get generic brand ones for about $30 at Hancock. If you do not have a ruffler foot, you can gather the fabric and still make these flowers.
 Cut a strip of fabric 1 1/2 inches wide. The wider it is the taller the flower will be. My strip is approx 24" long. You can adjust the length depending on how large or small you want your flowers.

Place the fabric in the ruffler. I set mine to ruffle every 6 stitches, you can adjust the ruffler for 1, 6, or 12 stitches. I also set my machine stitch width at 3.5 Ruffle the entire strip of fabric on the edge. Leave about 1/8". 

 This is what it should look like.
 Use a hot glue gun and turn in one end of the ruffle about 1/2 inch and glue in place.
 Now make a circle of hot glue on a separate piece of fabric. I place interfacing on the back of it for stability. You need to work fast here so the glue does not dry.
 Place the end of the ruffle that you glued down in the middle of the glue circle. Wrap the fabric round the glue circle loosely until all of the fabric is glued down.
 This is what your flower will look like, you then need to press down the fabric into the glue to "shape" your flower.

 This is now what it should look like. The you simply cut it out around the base.

 You will have a fabric circle on the bottom. I usually glue my flowers in place, or you can attach a pin to make it removable.
 That's it. These take about 5 min to make and you can make so many in several different sizes. I have added buttons and jewels to the center for add fun!

Happy Sewing! 

8 comments:

Hopes Handcrafts said...

oh sew cute and EASY!

Sueann said...

Thanks for the tut.....gorgeous
Hugs
SueAnn

Sass - aka - Kathy said...

What a great project! Won't you consider sharing it with my readers at sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/01/architectural-salvage-jewelry.html. Thanks! Happy New Year!

Kathy

Heather Rae said...

This one caught my eye! Your purse is gorgeous! Love the flowers! I would love for you to link up with my party at: http://anoriginalbelle.blogspot.com/2012/01/make-it-yourself-monday-10-link-up.html

Thanks so much! Happy Monday!

foreverdecorating said...

Simply adorable. Now I need to get me a ruffler foot.

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

These flowers are just gorgeous! I am FINALLY taking a sewing class this month and and can not wait to get to learning!Please oh please, come link up at my party going on now till Monday?
http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2012/01/get-schooled-saturday-6-and-e-book.html

Unknown said...

These are gorgeous, makes me wish I had a sewing machine!

Trista said...

I was doing a general search for fabric flowers and came across this tutorial. These are beautiful! I can't wait to get started on these!!